Construction presents many challenges from a health and safety perspective. Attributes like concentration, co-ordination and being of a sound mind when working in challenging environments are critical, not just to the success of a project, but for the safety of individuals and those working nearby.
Health & Safety
Accidents resulting from impairment or intoxication can be catastrophic and not only damage reputations, but have the ability to stop a site if the incident is serious, resulting in huge loses and undetermined slip on time critical projects. Due to the large machinery, equipment and weight of materials used in typical construction projects, there are few industries where health and safety is more important.
Deterring drugs and alcohol from site by implementing a drug and alcohol policy, and enforcing it with drug and alcohol screening is the most efficient method of reducing these risks.
The impact of drug and alcohol use within an organisation
- Company reputation on the line
- Potentially void insurance if the use of drugs and alcohol are shown to contribute to a vehicle collision or other serious accident
- Reduction in perception, interaction and rationality in the individual
- Reduction in productivity of the individual
- Reduction of duty of care to colleagues and those around the individual
- Potential increase in absence of the individual
- Affect and influence on culture and colleagues
Our Recommendations For Construction
A robust Drug and Alcohol Policy is the first port of call. We believe in prevention where-ever possible, so having a pro-active approach and affecting the culture in the business is important, as you want to address any substance problems head-on before an issue or scenario arises.
Having drug and alcohol screening in place supports your policy and sets the stance from the top down that these substances have no place at work.
For-cause/suspicion screening for drugs and alcohol
Random screening for drugs and alcohol
Pre-employment drug screening
Occupational Health testing and surveillance
We work with many household names, helping them to shape, roll-out and conduct on-site screening to best industry practice.